When the hot weather arrives in abundance, we often need some inspiration to create different salad combos and flavours.
Otherwise al fresco eating can be boring, as we munch like rabbits through "samey salads" meal after meal, day after day.
My Tuna & Buckwheat Salad is another tantalising and filling dish to add to your repertoire of salads.
Tuna is one source of omega 3 and protein, but it doesn't have much taste. No problemo! This can be sorted by combining it with the right kind of foods.
Buckwheat is a great taste and texture choice, adding some nuttiness, complementing both the tuna and salad well.
Despite it's name, buckwheat is a great substitute to wheat and other grains containing gluten. It's not a grain though. But a fruit seed that's closely related to rhubarb!
Other plus points - buckwheat also contains fibre and protein. Making for satiety, energy and healthy weight.
Fresh herbs, olives and cherry tomatoes together with olive oil and seasoning bring extra life and colour to this dish. After all, good-looking food is more appetising!
The stick of celery on the side is to crunch on, instead of crisps. Sorry!
- 1/2 tin tuna (in spring water)
- 50g buckwheat
- 1 handful salad leaves
- 4 cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 stick celery
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives (chopped)
- Green olives (to place around the outside of your salad dish)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 twist of Himalayan salt grinder
- 1 twist of pepper grinder
- Salad Burnet (from my garden to garnish)
- Wash and cook the buckwheat as per the instructions on the packet. Then put the buckwheat in a sieve once cooked and run cold filtered water over it. Drain and then place in a serving dish
- Wash the salad ingredients and fresh herbs before putting them in the serving dish with the tuna
- Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds over the salad
- Arrange the cherry tomatoes and olives around the outside of the bowl
- Add the seasoning, drizzle the olive oil over the salad and garnish with salad burnet or another herb of your choice
- Place the washed piece of celery on the side and enjoy
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.