Looking for a healthier sweet treat this Christmas? These "couple of bites" Marzipan Delights are delicious and will satisfy a sweet tooth without sending your calorie consumption overboard.
This recipe uses maple syrup as a sweetener, cutting out sugar altogether.
I also used the same ingredients for the marzipan on my Christmas cake.
Approx: 20 delights
Prep time: (naked) 10 min (chocolate coated) 30 min
Ingredients for raw marzipan
500g of ground almonds
6 tablespoons of maple syrup
2 teaspoons of ONE of the following: vanilla extract OR rosewater OR rum OR amaretto
Ingredients for chocolate coating
3/4 cup of virgin coconut oil
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
1/4 cup of cacao
1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes or any other topping of your choice. Pistachio and dried raspberry make great toppings.
Recipe for marzipan
1. In a bowl, combine ground almonds, maple syrup and rosewater/vanilla extract/rum/amaretto and knead with your hands until you have a firm, sticky dough.
2. Pinch off about 1 tablespoon of dough to form a round, small marzipan ball.
3. Optional (but recommended): roll ball in coconut flakes until covered (you may have to press down gently while rolling for the flakes to stick).
Recipe for chocolate coating
1. Slowly heat coconut oil until it begins to soften. You don’t want it liquefied, just smooth.
2. Add maple syrup and cacao to the coconut oil. Stir until well incorporated.
3. Dip a marzipan ball into the chocolate (I used a spoon and my hands), pull out and immediately roll it in coconut flakes (or the topping of your choice) until fully covered and perfectly round. Set on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.