This thick, smooth vegetarian soup brings together sweet apples with punchy spices and warming squash.
Squash is rich in phytonutrients, antioxidants and fibre. The orange colour signifies the abundance of carotenoids which make it an ideal source of vitamin A. It's also high in vitamin C and E.
I try and prep a winter squash every week this time of year since it's a delicious base for so many meals, especially soup.
Adding apple to this soup gives it a very subtle sweetness. Combined with the nutmeg, it’s a great flavour combination that works so well with the squash and other ingredients in this soup.
The Ultimate Squash & Apple Soup Recipe
Ready in 50 minutes
- 1/2 large sized squash, peeled, de-seeded and diced (Crown Prince variety used in this recipe)
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, washed and diced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 25g fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Red pepper, finely chopped (to garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pan over a low heat. Add the onion, carrot and fry for about 10 minutes, stirring to stop them catching.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices. Fry for 2 minute. Add the squash and apple. Stir well. Add the apple cider vinegar and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, season and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, until the squash is tender. Blitz in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Gently reheat if necessary, checking the seasoning.
- Garnish with chopped red pepper.
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.