I'm all for creating healthier versions of those meals you love. And this Sausage & Vegetable Pasta Recipe definitely falls into that category.
So what makes this recipe different to your traditional no-no sausage and pasta dish?
Firstly I've used high quality, lean, gluten-free sausages bought from my local butcher. No nitrates or saturated fat here! With sausages it's not just about quality, but also the added ingredients, high levels of saturated fat content and that most are processed - even the vegetarian ones. You can taste the difference in sausages that score well on all these things.
If you have a good butcher or farm shop nearby, I recommend asking them if they can make you some healthier sausages.
Secondly I've used buckwheat pasta, which is also gluten-free.
The vegetables are steamed to reduce loss of nutrients. And while there's herbs and spices in the sausages, I've added more to the tomato sauce for extra flavour. The sage is from my garden and it goes really well with pork sausages, but you can substitute this for another fresh herb like basil.
Other ingredients used in the sauce include olive oil (for healthy fat) and raw apple cider vinegar (which is not only great for more flavour but it's also a potential prebiotic to help those healthy bacteria in your tummy).
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 45 minutes
- 4 gluten-free pork sausages
- 400g buckwheat pasta
- 2 leeks
- 1 large handful of cauliflower florets
- 1 large handful of sliced green pointed cabbage
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 green pepper
- 4 large tomatoes
- 8 tablespoons organic tomato passata (carton or jar)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dessertspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Few leaves of fresh sage (washed and roughly chopped)
- Ground black pepper & salt
- Dried herbs to sprinkle over the dish before serving
- Put the sausages on a griddle or tray and cook for about 20-25 minutes under a medium-heated grill, turning now and again to brown all over
- Add the pasta to the pan section of your steamer with some filtered water
- Chop up / slice all the vegetables including the red and green pepper and place them in one of the steamer inserts. Put this on top of the main pan part of your steamer (above your pasta) and steam both the pasta and vegetables together for about 10 minutes
- Slice the sausages into chunky pieces once cooked
- Drain the pasta and place this in a large saucepan (you can used the steamer pan if you wash it out) with the steamed vegetables and chopped sausage
- Add plus mix the tomatoes, tomato passata, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and paprika as well as herbs and seasoning to the sausage & vegetable pasta in the pan. Heat the sauce through with everything for 3-4 minutes
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve in a large bowl with herbs sprinkled across the top
Hello, I'm a Holistic Nutritionist, Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner, Breathwork Instructor and Pain & Stress Management Therapist with heaps of experience of helping others tweak and transform their health and life.
Let's work together to optimise how you look, feel and function for better wellness and health.
Say goodbye to confusion, frustration and overwhelm as you transform your health and habits for the better, while confidently creating the healthier outlook you want with exceptional support, guidance and know-how.
Healthier You is the ultimate program for creating serious momentum and progress with your health concerns and goals.
Gut Health Plan
Do you struggle with uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing symptoms like bloating, abdominal cramps, reflux, flatulence, constipation, diarrhoea and nausea?
In this personalised gut health plan, we'll work together to optimise your gut health and function, so that you can re-discover what it feels like to live life with a healthy and happy tummy.
Wellness Business Coaching
Make money doing what you love!
Transformational business coaching to help you launch, monetise or take your health and wellness business to the next level.
My Wellness Business Coaching is designed to give you direction, courage and acceleration to transform your passion and purpose into the business you desire.