I can't get enough of root vegetables and soup at the moment. And this seasonal Roasted Parsnip Soup is the perfect warming meal to have during our colder months.
Although parsnips look very much like carrots except for their colour, this pale root vegetable has in fact more vitamins, minerals and nutrients in it than you may think.
Parsnip is a great source of fibre to keep you fuller longer and aid digestion; folic acid for heart health and cell repair; vitamins C for immunity and B6 for brain function and mood.
And roasting parsnips in this hot blend of oil and spice mix gives you a beautifully sweet soup with a nice spicy kick. For a stronger spicy tasting soup, stir in some more mustard seeds.
READY IN 45 MINUTES
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 700g parsnips
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock or filtered water
- Fresh ground black pepper & Himalayan salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°c / 350°F / Gas mark 4
- Peel and chop the parsnip into bite-size chunks
- Peel and slice the onion
- In a bowl, mix together the oil and spices. Add the onion, garlic and parsnip. Coat them evenly with the oil and spice mix
- Place a baking sheet on a large baking try, or in a baking tin. Tip the oil and spice coated vegetables onto the baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes in the oven until slightly tender
- Put the roasted vegetables in a large pan with the vegetable stock or filtered water, season, then heat and simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and pour the soup mixture into a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Season to taste and serve with beetroot crisps on top or your choice of topping
Top Tip: If you use filtered water instead of stock it's best to leave the soup to stand for a couple of hours before blending. This allows the water to soak up the flavour from the vegetables and spices.
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.