This flame-coloured Lamb & Sweet Potato Pie will fill your body with warming vibes.
Sweet potato is a healthy replacement for white potato and revitalising rosemary adds freshness and flavour to the entire dish.
So swap your traditional shepherds pie for this sweet and fragrant version.
Although the recipe includes carrot and celery I like to serve it with extra steamed veggies.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 45 minutes Total time: 55 minutes
- 500g lean lamb's mince (organic or grass fed)
- 1 red onion (peeled & chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled & finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled if non-organic & chopped)
- 2 sticks of celery (trimmed & chopped)
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon buckwheat flour (optional)
- 125ml filtered water
- 1 small bunch fresh rosemary leaves
- 1kg sweet potatos
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (for drizzling)
- Ground black pepper & sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 375F
- Heat a large pan and add the lamb mince plus seasoning and buckwheat flour. Combine all together and cook until the lamb is brown all over. Keep stirring so the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan
- Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot to the lamb with the tinned tomatoes, filtered water and a large pinch of rosemary leaves and stir well
- Leave the ingredients in the same pan or put in an overproof dish, then cover and bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, wash the sweet potatoes and peel them if they aren't organic before steaming them for about 10 minutes. You want them slightly soft, but firm enough to slice into pieces. Make sure to chop them into small potato size chunks before steaming so they all cook at the same speed
- Remove the lamb from the oven and layer the sweet potato slices over the top, drizzling each one with a little extra virgin olive oil and more rosemary leaves. Then bake uncovered for another 10 minutes
- Serve with steamed veggies of your choice
Top Tip: Suitable for freezing in batches
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.