A Key Lime Pie Recipe with an expected lovely-lime flavoured tang to it, but with an unexpected ingredient - called frozen peas.
Don't worry! I promise you, you can't taste the peas at all. However, my aim was to add more nutrients, colour and a hint of extra sweetness to this yummy dessert and the peas do just that.
What I also love about this Key Lime Pie is that there's no baking involved and yet despite being free of dairy, eggs, gluten, wheat and refined sugar, its totally delicious.
Healthy versions of popular desserts that taste divine are always a win on the food front.
Because let's face it whether you need to, or want to, eat cleaner you certainly don't want to go without! So you can have your cake and eat it 🙂
For the Base:
200g raw pecans
155g dates (soft pitted)
Fresh ginger (1cm slice, peeled)
For the Filling:
160g raw flaked almonds (soaked in warm water for 30 minutes)
120g frozen peas
4 fresh medium-size limes (zest and juice)
150ml coconut milk (organic or homemade)
3 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
125ml tablespoon maple syrup (Grade A)
12 mint leaves (fresh and washed)
For Serving: Fresh strawberries (washed) + 1/2 slice of lime
For the Base:
- Line the bottom of a 20 – 25cm baking tin with baking paper. I also rubbed some coconut oil under this on the tin base.
- Cover flaked almonds with warm water and let them soak for at least 30 minutes. Then drain thoroughly and put to one side.
- In a food processor, blend the pecans until broken into small bits.
- Add the dates and slice of ginger to the food processor and blend again until you have a sticky base. It should stick together when you hold a bit of the mix between your fingers.
- Press the base mixture firmly with the back of a spoon into the bottom of the lined baking tin.
- Leave the base to one side while you make the filling.
For the Filling:
- When the almonds are soaked and drained, add them to the food processor with the other "filling" ingredients and blend until very smooth. If you have trouble blending the filling, add a touch more coconut milk. Taste and adjust flavour (with more lime juice & zest) / sweetness (with maple syrup) if needed.
- Pour the mix onto the base and put the key lime pie in the freezer to set for about 2 hours.
- Don’t let it freeze! If you’re not eating the pie straight away, remove from the freezer after the 2 hours and leave it in the fridge until just before you want to serve it.
- Remove the key lime pie from the baking tin onto a cake stand or plate before serving and add whole fresh strawberries and 1/2 a slice of lime to the top for decoration.
Hello, I'm a Holistic Nutritionist, Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner, Breathwork Instructor and Pain & Stress Management Therapist with heaps of experience of helping others tweak and transform their health and life.
Let's work together to optimise how you look, feel and function for better wellness and health.
Say goodbye to confusion, frustration and overwhelm as you transform your health and habits for the better, while confidently creating the healthier outlook you want with exceptional support, guidance and know-how.
Healthier You is the ultimate program for creating serious momentum and progress with your health concerns and goals.
Gut Health Plan
Do you struggle with uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing symptoms like bloating, abdominal cramps, reflux, flatulence, constipation, diarrhoea and nausea?
In this personalised gut health plan, we'll work together to optimise your gut health and function, so that you can re-discover what it feels like to live life with a healthy and happy tummy.
Wellness Business Coaching
Make money doing what you love!
Transformational business coaching to help you launch, monetise or take your health and wellness business to the next level.
My Wellness Business Coaching is designed to give you direction, courage and acceleration to transform your passion and purpose into the business you desire.