I can’t get over how incredibly delicious this healthy clementine cake is.
It's made with almond flour and is the perfect twist on a classic cake recipe.
Healthy Clementine Cake with Almond Flour is:
High-Protein, Low-Carb, Gluten-Free,
Dairy-Free, Naturally Sweetened, Grain-Free,
Refined Sugar-Free, Easy-to-Make
The trick to making cakes that are healthy enough to eat everyday (if you want to), without worrying about your waistline is to replace the high-carbohydrate ingredients with low-carbohydrate ones.
Instead of refined sugar this clementine cake uses maple syrup as a natural sweetener.
Almond flour is also used in place of white flour, which is naturally gluten-free, high in protein and low in carbs. This means it won’t leave you with the blood sugar ups and downs that come with white flour recipes.
Health benefits of clementine
When you add fruit or vegetable to a cake it naturally increases the nutritional content too. The clementine orange contains a mass of nutrients making it beneficial for your health in many ways, including:
Promoting weight loss and stable blood sugar
Super low in calories the clementine is a tasty fruit if you’re looking to shed a few extra pounds. Plus, the glycemic index of clementine is low, which means it releases sugar into the bloodstream at a slow rate and prevents a sudden spike in your blood sugar level.
Additionally, the dietary fibres present in the clementine reduces the rate at which sugar gets absorbed into the bloodstream in turn helping to regulate blood sugar level, as well as encourage feelings of fullness and satiety.
Supporting immune function
Clementine oranges are a wonderful source of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that plays a critical role in immune health.
In fact, studies show that getting enough of this water-soluble vitamin in your daily diet could improve symptoms and reduce the incidence of respiratory conditions like the influenza virus.
Not only that, but vitamin C levels in the body rapidly decline during illness and infection, making it even more important to get your fix by eating plenty of nutrient-dense foods, such as clementine.
Protecting your health
Clementine is an excellent source of many antioxidants, not just vitamin C. Vitamin E and other antioxidant compounds like phytonutrients, polyphenols, and flavonoids are present in the clementine.
The antioxidants and the relevant compounds found in the clementine fights with the free radicals of our body, stabilizes them and prevents them from causing oxidative damage to our cells, which is the leading cause of degeneration in the body.
Antioxidants also aid in eliminating toxins from your body, and when there are fewer toxins in our body, it reduces the burden from your vital organs like liver and kidneys allowing them to focus on other functions they need to perform.
Healthy Clementine Cake with Almond Flour (Gluten-Free)
A miracle recipe that's even healthy enough to eat every day if you love it.
This clementine cake recipe has just a hint of sweetness, which I prefer as I don’t have a big sweet tooth. If you want a sweeter treat, up the quantity of maple syrup which will do the trick.
Prep time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 250g of almond flour (ground almonds)
- 100g of maple syrup
- 6 clementine fruit (unseeded)
- 3 eggs, or 3 flaxseed eggs (1 flaxseed egg = 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons of water mixed in a bowl and left in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes)
- 1 drops of vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Place the whole clementine (rind included) in a saucepan and fill with water. Bring to the boil on your hob. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Drain the clementines and allow the clementines to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C and line a deep cake tin with baking paper.
- Transfer the clementines to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the remaining cake ingredients and process until just combined. Transfer the cake mixture to your cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour, until the cake is slightly golden around the edges and feels firm when gently poked in the centre.
- Turn off the oven and allow the cake to sit an additional 5 minutes in the oven.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from the tin. This will help it to firm up.
- Once cool, slice and serve, and then store in an airtight container to enjoy as a healthy snack or dessert. You can also freeze this cake, or part of the cake if you want to.
A balanced diet and optimal nutrient intake is a vital part of healthy living.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @nicolamonson on Instagram
Hi, I'm an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Pain & Stress Management Therapist, and Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner.
I help people elevate their mind and body health by addressing diet, nutrition and lifestyle symptoms. Let's work together to optimize how you feel and function.
Gut Health Plan
90 Days of healing to optimise your gut function. Improving your gut health isn't just beneficial for digestive complaints. Did you know that 60 - 80% of your immune system and 90% of your feel-good hormone serotonin, resides in your gut?