This healthy chocolate cake with passion fruit is perfect for satisfying your chocolate cravings, without damaging your waistline or morale. Yes, you really can indulge in chocolate and cake without feeling guilty afterwards.
I've used raw cacao (raw chocolate), instead of cocoa powder. It's much healthier and is packed full of antioxidants. In fact, it’s one of the healthiest foods in the world. It has an earthy taste since it’s still in it’s most natural raw form, as opposed to cocoa powder, which has been roasted and processed.
This gorgeous cake will last a few days in the fridge, although I'm sure you won't need it to last that long.
I love seeing your recreations, please share them with me via Instagram using #nicolamonson and Facebook using #nicolaannemonson
Healthy Chocolate Cake with Passion Fruit
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 150g almond flour (ground almonds)
- 75g raw cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 medium to large sweet potato (washed, peeled if non-organic and finely sliced)
- 75g maple syrup
- 75g olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 3 passion fruits
- Grease the bottom and sides of a deep, round cake tin with coconut oil before lining it with baking paper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F / 180C
- Steam the sliced sweet potato in a steamer pan on the hob in a steamer for 10 minutes or until the potato is slightly soft. Alternatively bake a whole sweet potato in the oven until slightly soft and scoop out the filling.
- Pulse the sweet potato in a food processor for a few seconds.
- Combine the almond flour, cacao powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add the eggs, vanilla essence, olive oil and maple syrup to the food processor and mix with the sweet potato.
- Next, add the dry ingredients - almond flour, cacao powder, salt and baking powder to the wet ingredients in the food processor, and process until everything is well combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin and cook for 25 minutes until the top is just cooked and springy. If you want the centre of the cake to be gooey, reduce the cooking time to 20 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool for at least 1 hour before decorating the top with passion fruit.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy as a healthy snack or dessert. This cake is also suitable for freezing.
Click here if you'd like more healthier sweet treat recipes.
Hi, I'm an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Pain & Stress Management Therapist, and Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner.
I help people elevate their mind and body health by addressing diet, nutrition and lifestyle symptoms. Let's work together to optimize how you feel and function.
Gut Health Plan
90 Days of healing to optimise your gut function. Improving your gut health isn't just beneficial for digestive complaints. Did you know that 60 - 80% of your immune system and 90% of your feel-good hormone serotonin, resides in your gut?