This healthy chilli with black beans recipe is a tasty everyday meal that can also be frozen to have as make-ahead dinners during the week.
Cook once and eat twice, or more, is my healthy time-saving mantra.
Choose organic, grass-fed meat
To stick with the whole food theme, I've used organic grass-fed beef mince, which is a great source of protein, iron, zinc and omega 3.
When meat isn't organic or grass-fed you're consuming a lot of harmful toxins, adding unnecessary stress in the form of increased chemical load, so it's really important to buy high quality meat if you can.
Increase your fibre intake
I've used black beans in this recipe to increase fibre, and add additional flavour / texture. By doing so your healthy chilli with black beans dish will also go further.
Vegan recipe option
To make this healthy chilli with black beans recipe meat-free, just remove the beef and add in red kidney beans. Start at step 2 in the recipe for the vegan option.
Healthy Chilli With Black Beans Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 40 minutes Total time: 55 minutes Serves: 10
- 500g organic, grass-fed lean beef mince
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced or grated)
- 100g mushrooms (washed and sliced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes or powder
- pinch of cinnamon
- 400g jar or carton tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 4 medium tomatoes (washed and chopped)
- 1 carton or can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- vegan option: 1 carton or can of red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and brown it in a large pan for about 3-5 minutes to seal in the flavour.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushroom. Stir and cook until soft - about 3-5 minutes. If you're not using meat heat a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan before adding the onion, garlic and mushroom, so there is some fat to saute them.
- Add the bay leaf, chilli powder or flakes, oregano, cumin and cinnamon. Stir the herbs and spices into the meat and cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato puree, tomato passata and tomatoes. I love a rich tomato flavour.
- Simmer everything for about 25-30 minutes before mixing in the black beans and red kidney beans.
- Place in individual dishes or on plates. Garnish with the fresh coriander and serve with a healthy salad or steamed green vegetables and brown rice (if you eat grains) alongside the chilli.
Top Tip: Take care not to overdo the chilli. Adjust according to your spicy-hot taste.
Click here for more healthy recipes that don't take forever to prepare.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @nicolamonson on Instagram
Hi, I'm an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Pain & Stress Management Therapist, and Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner.
I help people elevate their mind and body health by addressing diet, nutrition and lifestyle symptoms. Let's work together to optimize how you feel and function.
Gut Health Plan
90 Days of healing to optimise your gut function. Improving your gut health isn't just beneficial for digestive complaints. Did you know that 60 - 80% of your immune system and 90% of your feel-good hormone serotonin, resides in your gut?