There’s nothing like a heart-warming casserole on a cold day, to make you feel content and nourished.
This easy-to-make, deliciously, healthy chicken casserole with shiitake mushrooms & curly kale is rammed with nutrition.
Shiitake mushrooms have long been used in traditional Chinese medicine for their antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Actually, the shiitake mushroom contains a wealth of health benefits - too many to go into here. But given the time of year, it's worth mentioning that while sunshine is better, these mushrooms can also provide a decent source of vitamin D.
Curly kale is a cruciferous vegetable that's loaded with fibre and powerful antioxidants. Think vitamins A, C, B (folate) and K.
As well as anti-inflammatory ginger and immune-boosting garlic, I've also thrown in some pungent turmeric and clove. Clove has a distinct, undeniable sweet and warm flavour, making it perfect for wintery meals.
This entire recipe is dairy-free - give it a try with the coconut milk (instead of cream that's typically used in creamy casseroles) and I know you'll love it.
Healthy Chicken Casserole Recipe
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Total time: 90 minutes
- 4 chicken thighs & 4 chicken drumsticks (organic, free range)
- 150g curly kale
- 125g shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large onion (peeled & sliced)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger root (skin removed)
- 1 x 400g tin of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric spice
- 1/2 teaspoon clove spice
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Warm the base of your pan or cast iron casserole dish (aka a Dutch oven) on the hob, then melt the coconut oil.
- Saute the onion, garlic and ginger in the coconut oil until slightly soft.
- Put the clean chicken thighs and drumsticks into the pan to seal the juices in. Brown lightly on either side for a few minutes.
- Add the turmeric and clove plus seasoning and stir to distribute evenly.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pan and stir in the shiitake mushrooms.
- Place the casserole in the oven if using a cast iron dish, or transfer the meal from your hob pan to a casserole dish, before putting it in the oven.
- Add the curly kale to the casserole after it has been in the oven for 60 minutes.
- Cook the casserole for a further 10 minutes, or until the chicken is coming away from the bones and looking cooked.
- Serve with a selection of steamed vegetables and / or wild rice.
Top Tip: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge for up to 2 days. Or placed in the freezer to be used for another meal(s) at a later date. Just make sure you reheat thoroughly before serving.
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.