There’s nothing like a heart-warming casserole on a cold day, to make you feel content and nourished.
This easy-to-make, deliciously, healthy chicken casserole with shiitake mushrooms & curly kale is rammed with nutrition.
Shiitake mushrooms have long been used in traditional Chinese medicine for their antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Actually, the shiitake mushroom contains a wealth of health benefits - too many to go into here. But given the time of year, it's worth mentioning that while sunshine is better, these mushrooms can also provide a decent source of vitamin D.
Curly kale is a cruciferous vegetable that's loaded with fibre and powerful antioxidants. Think vitamins A, C, B (folate) and K.
As well as anti-inflammatory ginger and immune-boosting garlic, I've also thrown in some pungent turmeric and clove. Clove has a distinct, undeniable sweet and warm flavour, making it perfect for winter meals.
This entire recipe is dairy-free - give it a try with the coconut milk (instead of cream that's typically used in creamy casseroles) and I know you'll love it.
Healthy Chicken Casserole Recipe
Serves: 4 Prep time: 15 minutes Total time: 90 minutes
- 4 chicken thighs & 4 chicken drumsticks (organic, free range)
- 150g curly kale
- 125g shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large onion (peeled & sliced)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger root (skin removed)
- 1 x 400g tin of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric spice
- 1/2 teaspoon clove spice
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Warm the base of your pan or cast iron casserole dish (aka a Dutch oven) on the hob, then melt the coconut oil.
- Saute the onion, garlic and ginger in the coconut oil until slightly soft.
- Put the clean chicken thighs and drumsticks into the pan to seal the juices in. Brown lightly on either side for a few minutes.
- Add the turmeric and clove plus seasoning and stir to distribute evenly.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pan and stir in the shiitake mushrooms.
- Place the casserole in the oven if using a cast iron dish, or transfer the meal from your hob pan to a casserole dish, before putting it in the oven.
- Add the curly kale to the casserole after it has been in the oven for 60 minutes.
- Cook the casserole for a further 10 minutes, or until the chicken is coming away from the bones and looking cooked.
- Serve with a selection of steamed vegetables and / or wild rice.
Top Tip: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge for up to 2 days. Or placed in the freezer to be used for another meal(s) at a later date. Just make sure you reheat thoroughly before serving.
For more healthy lunch and dinner ideas click here
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @nicolamonson on Instagram
Hi, I'm an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Pain & Stress Management Therapist, and Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner.
I help people elevate their mind and body health by addressing diet, nutrition and lifestyle symptoms. Let's work together to optimize how you feel and function.
Gut Health Plan
90 Days of healing to optimise your gut function. Improving your gut health isn't just beneficial for digestive complaints. Did you know that 60 - 80% of your immune system and 90% of your feel-good hormone serotonin, resides in your gut?