This delightful soup is made by combining the sweet flavours of butternut squash and coconut with wonderfully fragrant spices.
Bright orange butternut squash is fantastic pureed into a soup. It's both nourishing and warming for the body, loaded with vitamins A and C, plus a variety of minerals, including magnesium, manganese and potassium.
The mix of spices enhance the rich colour and flavour of the soup as well as adding more nutrition. Coriander and turmeric have an anti-inflammatory effect on the body, cumin and paprika are good sources of iron and all contain important amino-acids (building blocks of protein).
READY IN 55 MINUTES
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed or finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1 litre vegetable stock or filtered water
- Himalayan salt
- Heat the oil in a large pot until it has melted, add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the cumin, coriander, paprika and turmeric with 1 tablespoon of stock, stir well, then add the chopped butternut squash and a big pinch of salt.
- Stir for a minute, coating the butternut squash in the spices then add the rest of the stock and coconut.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 40 minutes until the squash is cooked through.
- Using an upright or stick blender puree the soup until smooth.
- Serve with pumpkin seeds
Top Tip: Stock - If you want to avoid yeast (which is in bought stock cubes), use water instead of stock or make your own and at step 5 under method, leave the water to soak up the flavours of the soup ingredients for 2-3 hours before blending.
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.