If you’re craving warm comfort food that’s delicious but still healthy, then this one’s for you.
You can make a big batch of this Creamy Vegan Celery Soup at the beginning of the week to take to work for lunch.
Celery is full of insoluble fibre which can increase satiety, support weight loss and promote regularity. In other words, it can help to clean out your intestines and with constipation symptoms.
Not only is celery a good source of fibre, it's also a good source of antioxidants, phytonutrients, flavanoids and electrolytes. Electrolytes are chemicals in water that are essential for hydration, maintaining healthy blood pressure, repairing tissue damage and making sure your muscles and nerves work correctly.
And instead of being loaded with dairy like most creamy soups, you use raw cashews to give it that creamy texture. In this recipe you simmer the cashews together with the rest of the soup which softens them, so there's no need to soak the cashews overnight.
The result is a soup with a velvety texture that's totally scrumptious. The cashews also give this vegan soup more protein and fat.
If you liked this soup why not try my Carrot & Parsnip Soup?
Creamy Vegan Celery Soup Recipe
Ready in 30 minutes
- 2 medium sized onions (peeled and chopped)
- 12 stalks of chopped celery (organic)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1.5 litre vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 40g buckwheat flour or any all purpose gluten free flour
- 75g raw cashews
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- sprigs of fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pan over a medium heat.
- Add the celery, onion and garlic, and saute for about 5 minutes until the celery and onion begin to soften and look translucent.
- Pour the vegetable stock and water into the pan, then sprinkle in the flour while whisking to avoid any lumps.
- Add in the raw cashews, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until the cashews are very soft.
- Remove the bay leaves, then blend the soup in small batches using a high speed blender. Make sure to blend well so that the cashews are completely broken down.
- Return the soup to the pan to heat or serve directly from the blender. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve with a garnish of a few sprigs of fresh parsley.
Top Tip: To draw more flavour out of the soup (and this goes for any soup), leave it for at least a couple of hours before the blending stage.
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.