This Carrot & Celery Soup Recipe is made with homemade bone broth. You can get my bone broth recipe here, if you need one. You can also buy bone broth. Just make sure it's organic and from somewhere like a farm shop.
I reached some of the bone broth that I made a batch of, a while ago, out of the freezer the night before. If possible, I always like to use bone broth as the liquid base because I think it makes for a more healing and nourishing soup.
Collagen is a protein that is abundant in bone, marrow, cartilage, tendons, and ligaments. It's the breakdown of collagen in bone broths that produces gelatin, which helps to heal and seal the gut.
The other thing about bone broth is that it adds so much flavour to your soup. If you're vegetarian, obviously swap the bone broth for vegetable stock or filtered water.
Wild marjoram grows very well in my garden from Spring to early Autumn. As well as adding a sweet taste to the soup, it has a lovely aroma. So it's wonderful to smell and use in the kitchen! If you don't have wild marjoram, I suggest using dried marjoram or fresh or dried basil. Use half of the quantity if you opt for dried herbs, as it's stronger than the fresh stuff.
I also love adding extra flavour to my soups with a topping and raw beetroot grated and sprinkled over the top adds a deeper sweet taste to the soup.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 40 minutes Serves: 6
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 12 sticks celery
- 12 carrots
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 litres bone broth or vegetable stock / filtered water
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon wild marjoram or fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 medium beetroot (peeled & grated)
- Fresh ground black pepper & Himalayan salt
- Wash, peel and chop the onion, garlic, celery and carrots into small pieces / slices. If you're using organic carrots (recommended) there's no need to peel them
- Warm the olive oil in a large non-stick deep pan to a moderate temperature and add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots, dried basil (if using instead of fresh) plus seasoning. Allow the vegetables to soften slightly before adding the bay leaf and pouring in the bone broth or vegetable stock / water
- Bring everything to the boil and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes
- Remove the bay leaf and stir in the fresh marjoram or basil
- If you prefer a smoothy texture to your soup, blend everything before serving. Otherwise leave and serve the soup chunky
- Use the grated beetroot and 1 teaspoon of fresh marjoram or basil to decorate the top of each bowl of soup
Top Tip: Double up on the quantity of ingredients if you want a batch lot to freeze or for another day
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.