This easy Carrot and Celery Soup Recipe is made with homemade bone broth.
You can also buy bone broth. If you prefer to do this, just make sure it's organic and from somewhere like a farm shop or a butcher that sells grass fed meat.
If possible, I use bone broth instead of stock as the liquid base because I think it makes for a tastier outcome with greater healing and nourishing benefits.
If you're vegetarian or vegan replace the bone broth with vegetable stock to make this recipe vegan.
Carrot and Celery Soup Recipe -Nutrients & Ingredients
Collagen in bone broth
Collagen is a protein that is abundant in bone, marrow, cartilage, tendons, and ligaments. It's the breakdown of collagen in bone broths that produces gelatin, which helps to heal and seal the gut.
What's also great about bone broth is that it adds so much flavour to your soup. If you're vegetarian or vegan, you're going to want to swap the bone broth for vegetable stock or filtered water though.
I'm sure you can remember when you were a child, your Mum telling you to eat your carrots so that you can see in the dark. Well this is no old wives tale, it's true.
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a compound your body changes into vitamin A, which helps keep your eyes healthy. And beta-carotene helps protect your eyes from the sun and lowers your chances of cataracts and other eye problems.
Celery is a wonderful source of fibre. This makes it a great ingredient for those concerned with losing weight or maintaining healthy digestion.
The best herbs for this soup
Wild marjoram grows very well in my garden from Spring to early Autumn. As well as adding a sweet taste to this soup, it has a lovely aroma. If you don't have wild marjoram, I suggest using dried marjoram, or fresh or dried basil. If using dried herbs use half of the quantity, as it's stronger than the fresh stuff.
I also love to add extra flavour to my soups which you can do really well with a topping. To pretty up the soup and add some sweet crunch I've chosen grated, raw beetroot.
How to Make This Carrot and Celery Soup Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 12 sticks celery
- 12 carrots
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 litres bone broth or vegetable stock / filtered water
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon wild marjoram or fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 medium beetroot (peeled & grated) optional for the topping
- Freshly ground black pepper & Himalayan salt
- Wash, peel and chop the onion, garlic, celery and carrots into small pieces / slices. If you're using organic carrots (recommended) there's no need to peel them, just wash them thoroughly.
- Warm the olive oil in a large non-stick deep pan to a moderate temperature and add the onion, garlic, celery and carrots, dried basil (if using instead of fresh) plus seasoning. Allow the vegetables to soften slightly before adding the bay leaf and pouring in the bone broth or vegetable stock.
- Bring everything to the boil and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and stir in the fresh marjoram or basil.
- If you prefer a smooth texture to your soup, blend everything before serving. Otherwise leave and serve the soup with the chunks of vegetables floating about.
- For the soup topping, use the grated beetroot and some fresh marjoram, or fresh basil, to decorate the top of each soup bowl.
- Serve and enjoy.
1. Double up on the quantity of ingredients if you want a batch lot of soup to freeze or for another day.
2. Leave the soup to stand in your big pot for several hours for more flavour. You'll find that homemade soup tastes much better when all the ingredients used have time to mingle together.
For more deliciously, healthy soup recipes click here
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Leave a comment below or tag @nicolamonson on Instagram
Hello, I'm a Holistic Nutritionist, Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner, Breathwork Instructor and Pain & Stress Management Therapist with heaps of experience of helping others tweak and transform their health and life.
Let's work together to optimise how you look, feel and function for better wellness and health.
Say goodbye to confusion, frustration and overwhelm as you transform your health and habits for the better, while confidently creating the healthier outlook you want with exceptional support, guidance and know-how.
Healthier You is the ultimate program for creating serious momentum and progress with your health concerns and goals.
Gut Health Plan
Do you struggle with uncomfortable and sometimes embarrassing symptoms like bloating, abdominal cramps, reflux, flatulence, constipation, diarrhoea and nausea?
In this personalised gut health plan, we'll work together to optimise your gut health and function, so that you can re-discover what it feels like to live life with a healthy and happy tummy.
Wellness Business Coaching
Make money doing what you love!
Transformational business coaching to help you launch, monetise or take your health and wellness business to the next level.
My Wellness Business Coaching is designed to give you direction, courage and acceleration to transform your passion and purpose into the business you desire.