Love to indulge on a chocolate brownie once in a while?
Then why not try a healthier version! These wholesomely delicious Beetroot Brownies are a simpler version of my Guilt-Free Chocolate Brownies, where I've substituted the sweet potato and beetroot combo for just beetroot.
Free from refined sugar (which we all know isn't good for us) they're made with natural sugar alternatives and raw cacao powder - real chocolate. It's the best!
I'm a huge fan of keeping blood sugar levels stable and while unrefined ingredients are more nutritious than processed ones, in most cases you do need to watch your consumption of what often appears healthy on the outside, but not so healthy on the inside.
So these Beetroot Brownies are made with limited amounts of what's considered more natural sugars to give sufficient sweetness and enjoyment without over-doing it.
Yummy, refined sugar-free, gluten-free and dairy-free brownies.
Serves: Approx 15 Brownies
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 1 hour Total time: 1 hour & 10 minutes
- 6 small to medium sized raw beetroot
- 95g of buckwheat flour
- 75g of ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 7 Medjool dates (stones removed)
- dash of salt
- Steam the beetroot with the skin on for about 40 minutes.
- When the beetroot is fairly soft, peel it, take the head off and cut into chunks before blending in a food processor with the dates until smooth
- Place the remaining ingredients into a bowl before adding the beetroot and date mix. Stir everything together
- Put the mix into a lined baking dish and cook on 180°C (pre-heated oven) for about 30 minutes. The brownies are cooked when you can pierce the centre of the brownies with a fork and it comes out dry
- Remove from the oven and allow the brownie cake to cool before cutting into brownie pieces and serving. I love to eat them with coconut yoghurt
Happy brownie eating!
Top Tip: Suitable for freezing in batches
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.