This Beef & Black Bean Chilli Recipe is a healthy plus tasty everyday meal that can also be frozen to have as make-ahead dinners during the week. Cook once and eat twice or more, is my healthy time-saving mantra!
To stick with the whole food theme I've used organic grass-fed beef mince, which is a great source of protein, iron, zinc and omega 3. If the meat isn't organic, grass-fed you're consuming a lot of harmful toxins. I won't use anything less as health is my number one priority.
I've used black beans in this recipe, but you can add red kidney beans as well for additional flavour and to make it go further.
Vegetarian & Vegan Option: To make this dairy-free Beef & Black Bean Chilli Recipe without meat, just remove the beef and add in the red kidney beans. Start at step 2 in the recipe if you're doing this.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 40 minutes Total time: 55 minutes Serves: 10
- 500g organic grass-fed lean beef mince
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced or grated)
- 100g mushrooms (washed and sliced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes or powder
- Cinnamon (touch)
- 400g jar or carton tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 4 medium tomatoes (washed and chopped)
- 1 carton or can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 carton or can of red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- Fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and brown it in a large pan for about 3-5 minutes to seal in the flavour.
- Add the onion, garlic and mushroom. Stir and cook until soft - about 3-5 minutes. If you're not using meat heat a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan before adding the onion, garlic and mushroom, so there is some fat to saute them.
- Add the bay leaf, chilli powder or flakes, oregano, cumin and cinnamon. Stir the herbs and spices into the meat and cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato puree, tomato passata and tomatoes. I love a rich tomato flavour!
- Simmer everything for about 25-30 minutes before mixing in the black beans and red kidney beans.
- Place in individual dishes or on plates. Garnish with the fresh coriander and serve with a healthy salad or steamed green vegetables and brown rice (if you eat grains) alongside the chilli.
Top Tip: Take care with the chilli not to overdo it. Adjust according to your spicy-hot taste.
Skin & Beauty Health
Multi-award winning, vegan skin and beauty products to promote better health and a more youthful complexion. Freshly made using sustainably sourced, premium, natural ingredients.